Teen Dies Because Of Her Tampon While On A School Trip

Post navigation

A16-year-old girl died in March 2017 during an overnight school trip near a Vancouver Island. Sara Manitoski was thought to be still in bed sleeping by her friends when they left for breakfast. When they returned, the teenager’s phone alarm was going off which made them wonder why she wouldn’t wake up.  

 

Despite the paramedics’ attempts for CPR, Sara remained unresponsive.  

 

It took almost a year for Sara's family to discover the cause of her tragic death.

 

 

Sara Manitoski / Facebook

 

As stated in the coroner's report, the Canadian teen suffered from toxic shock syndrome (TSS). This happens when you leave in a tampon for too long, causing a severe bacterial infection.

 

This was confirmed when a strain of staphylococcus aureus on a tampon was found as well as other TSS symptoms.

 

“Certainly we know a person needs to have this particular bacteria to get sick, and then there may be something with tampon use, maybe prolonged tampon use, that puts that risk higher for developing a more widespread infection," said Island Health Medical officer Dee Hoyano in an interview with CTV Vancouver Island.

 

 

Carli Manitoski / Facebook

 

Carli Manitoski, Sara's sister, warned people about the dangers of TSS on Facebook:

“After 9 agonizing months we have finally got confirmation that my little sister passed away from Toxic Shock Syndrome or (TSS). Women need to be more educated on this subject, some of you might not even know what TSS is. They say getting TSS is incredibly rare but I know two people that have had it, with one barely surviving and my sister who died from it. Can it really be that rare? My sister complained of stomach cramps before going to bed and then she never woke up. My beautiful, incredibly healthy sister died because of this so please share, educate yourselves and be cautious whenever using tampons. There is such little education on this and it needs to be brought to light. Such an unnecessary and tragic thing to happen to such an amazing young lady. I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else and if this post makes even one person aware and go look up and educate themselves on TSS then I am grateful. Thank you for reading and please share "

 

Carli added that her sister was healthy and that TSS could happen to anyone.

 

"They say getting TSS is incredibly rare but I know two people that have had it, with one barely surviving and my sister who died from it. Can it really be that rare? My sister complained of stomach cramps before going to bed and then she never woke up.”

 

Statistics report one out of every 100,000 people in America will get TSS, although it's best for women to be on a lookout and recognize the signs before it’s too late.

 

 “There is such little education on this and it needs to be brought to light,” she posted. “Such an unnecessary and tragic thing to happen to such an amazing young lady. I wouldn’t want this to happen to anyone else and if this post makes even one person aware and go look up and educate themselves on TSS then I am grateful.”

 

 

Carli Manitoski / Facebook

 

Always remember that super-absorbent tampons left inside for more than eight hours may cause this severe bacterial infection.

 

 

CNN

 

Here are 10 of the most common symptoms associated with TSS:

  • A sudden high fever
  • Hypotension a.k.a. low blood pressure
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • A sunburn-like rash appearing on the palms of your hands and soles of your feet
  • General state of confusion
  • Aching muscles
  • Redness in the eyes, mouth and throat
  • Headaches
  • Seizures

Based On Materials From Shared

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.